What foods am I interested in keeping and for how long? How many are we in the house? What space is available? For choose the refrigerator best suited to your needs just answer these simple questions keeping in mind the budget available. Let's see them one by one and close with a note on consumption.
But first a premise. If we wantbuy a refrigerator equipped with a freezer (or chile at 3 ° C for meat and fish) we must keep in mind that home freezing must be entrusted to safe appliances, capable of ensuring a deep and constant frost in all seasons. Consuming poorly frozen foods is not healthy.
Choosing the refrigerator: what do we want to keep and for how long?
You will notice that refrigerators have snow star symbols, generally on the door of each compartment. They indicate which foods can be stored and for how long. The symbols should be read like this:
**** temperature -18 ° C / YES to freeze fresh food / YES to keep frozen / storage up to 1 year.
*** temperature -18 ° C / NO to freeze fresh food / YES to store frozen / storage up to 1 year
** temperature -12 ° C / NO to freeze fresh food / YES to store frozen / storage up to 1 month.
* temperature -6 ° C / NO to freeze fresh food / YES to store frozen / storage up to 1 week.
Choosing the refrigerator: how many are we in the house?
A fundamental element in the choice is the capacity (expressed in liters) of the refrigerator, that is, the space actually usable inside. Indicatively, the proportion is this:
- 1 person 100 - 150 liters;
- 2-4 people 220-280 liters;
- more than 4 people 300 liters and over.
Choose the refrigerator: the space available
This cannot be ignored. If the kitchen is small, it is unlikely that it will accommodate a 'beast', but do not despair: even a small appliance can satisfy all needs, as long as the interior space is versatile, made in a rational and practical way. Usually, the smaller a refrigerator is, the fewer the doors. However, keep in mind that:
- single door refrigerators: they do not have compartments for low temperatures and are suitable for those who prefer to buy fresh food day by day. There may be a freezing cell (even 4-star) but it is usually small;
- two-door fridge-freezers: they have a fridge compartment and a freezer compartment of reasonable size. Some models have separate motors that allow you to use only part of the fridge;
- freezer cabinets with more than two doors: they give the possibility to choose between different climates the one that is most suitable for the different foods to be stored.
Choosing the refrigerator: energy consumption
All appliances are provided by European standard with a label that communicates the 'energy consumption class' or 'energy efficiency class'. it consumes on average 450 kWh per year both full of food and empty.
Let us remember two things. The first: annual consumption increases by about 80-90 kWh for every 100 liters of additional capacity. The second: every time we open the door to the fridge it's as if we opened our wallet, because the temperature rises quickly and a lot of electricity is consumed to restore it. This makes it advisable to have separate compartments.